This session, as part of our School Improvement Plan, we have started our journey to becoming a Rights Respecting School.
There are four key areas of impact for children at a Rights Respecting school; wellbeing, participation, relationships and self-esteem. The difference that a Rights Respecting school makes goes beyond the school gates, making a positive impact on the whole community.
Children are healthier and happier
By promoting the values of respect, dignity and non-discrimination, children’s self-esteem and well-being is boosted and they are less likely to suffer from stress. A child who understands their rights understands how they and others should be treated and their sense of self-worth is strengthened.
- 97 per cent of headteachers at Rights Respecting Schools said the award had improved children’s respect for themselves and each other.
- 93 per cent of headteachers at Rights Respecting Schools said the award had helped children to embrace diversity and overcome prejudices.
- “We all know our rights and know that if our rights aren’t respected we can do something.” Primary pupil at an RRSA school
Children feel safe
The programme gives children a powerful language to use to express themselves and to challenge the way they are treated. They are also able to challenge injustices for other children. Children and young people are empowered to access information that enables them to make informed decisions about their learning, health and wellbeing.
- 76 per cent of headteachers at Rights Respecting Schools say the award has helped to reduce bulling and exclusions.
- In some cases children have been able to use the language of rights to tell teachers they do not feel safe at home or in their community, whether that’s because of violence, abuse or neglect.
- “Learning about rights has made them [children] more confident about speaking out. They are more confident and articulate.” Parent
- “Teachers empower us and give us confidence.’” Secondary pupil at an RRSA school
In December 2017 we received our Recognition of Achievement certificate! We look forward to sharing our next steps with you!