If you have been into St Joseph’s this week, you may have heard ‘Bonjour’ being exchanged between staff and pupils. As part of the ongoing rolling out of 1+2 languages (Click here for more information) we will be introducing a new French phrase each Monday at assembly. Children and staff share the phrase with a few challenges thrown in. The 100th child (roughly!!) who says the phrase to Mrs Fowler will get a gold house point as well as the child who says it to a nominated ‘secret teacher’ for the week. In this way we can start to bring French into the corridors! You can help at home by –
How can I support my child?
A positive attitude to other languages and cultures will go a long way to keeping your child interested in learning languages. In addition, you could:
• discuss the benefits of language learning
• encourage your child to have fun with languages – label household objects, look at interesting language websites, read cartoons in another language, etc.
• ask your child to teach you what s/he has learned in school
• challenge each other to find words in your first language that come from other languages
• look for words that come from other languages used in advertising and packaging or in magazines, films and television programmes